Bladder control normally starts at age 6 – 7 or before. If a child has problems with urination during sleep past this age it is usually a developmental delay. There are a number of muscle and neurological systems that must develop for full bladder control. Some factors that come into play include:
• There can be genetic predisposition for the problem
• Abnormal development of the ureters or in boys the posterior urethral valve
• An undersized bladder
• The CNS controls the bladder muscles and valves associated with urination. Development may be slower than typical.
• There are hormones that slow urine production at night. They may develop slower in some.
• Infection or other disease problems in the urinary tract.
Other factors that are noted include:
• Food allergies
• Difficulty in waking during sleep
Factors that are typically not the cause are:
• Emotional or behavioral problems
• Lack of concern on the child’s part
Typically developmental delays are the more common cause. Only 5 – 10% of the problems are because of physical factors. Girls develop control faster than boys and boys have a higher incidence of bed-wetting in later years than girls.
Oils, blends & products recommended:
Oils & Blends: Balance, Cilantro, Cypress
Essential oils based products: Life Long Vitality supplements, GX Assist, PB Assist
Since there are a variety of root causes it may take some experimentation to find the right combinations of helps to use. Some things work for other some do not. Read the experiences of others to help get a full perspective.
Some oils and supplements that have worked for others:
• Life Long Vitality supplements (if the child is old enough for capsules), GX Assist and PB Assist
• Cilantro, 7 drops in a capsule, 1 -2 per day
• Cypress, rub 2-4 drops on bladder area before sleep
• Balance, massage 2-4 drops on feet at bedtime. Use as an opportunity for quality, loving, reinforcing time
Other helpful hints:
• Lots of hugs and positive reaffirmation during the day
• A number suggest getting off of dairy products was the key
• Keep the child warm at night
• Rub diuretic oils on the feet and ankles 2 -3 hours before bedtime
Try physical controls by:
• Limiting liquid intake 2 – 3 hours before sleep
• Encourage urination just prior to bedtime
• Use an alarm for urination during the night
You can order doTERRA Essential oils from www.familyhealingoils.com